Wednesday 27 May 2015

2015 Film Challenge

Last year I managed to watch 99 new releases of that year; the list of these films can be found here and just for the sake of a good laugh and in jest of David Fincher and my disdain for his direction since Zodiac, the title of this list is 'Films of 2014: I watched 99 films and Gone Girl ain’t 1' - since making this list, I have actually sat down with Fincher's Gone Girl and was left feeling nothing but hatred of yet another travesty from a director for who I once loved; but not to get caught up with negativity around my thoughts on Fincher as a director, at the start of this year I challenged myself to surpass last years efforts of seeing 99 new releases in the year of 2015. I'm keeping track on my watch-list for this year on my Letterboxd account which can be found here 

Admittedly and to my concern at this point in time, I'm really flagging behind in my challenge - as you can see from the list on Letterboxd I've only managed to find the time to catch up with 8 films of 2015 (UK releases & Festival Films) and June is fast approaching - I'm hoping that if I can find the time and the finances to make another trip to Film4's FrightFest Film Festival in London later this year, I can start to bulk up the list rapidly and as I always try at the end of each year to cram a number of films in a short space of time as I catch up with films that I missed at the cinema from earlier in the year, the aim is to at least make the 100 mark and maybe push on further; it's all just good fun and essentially pointless but if I keep you all posted on each film I see on here it might drive me to not only write and update the blog more frequently and check out more films in the meantime.

Below I will just give a summary of the films I've seen to date, not in any great detail but short text of thoughts and ratings out of 10 just for good fun and for you all to see how the year 2015 has treated me in terms of films and the experiences of consuming them.

Films of 2015 (in chronological order of my viewing)

Enemy 3/10: A mind-bending thriller that left me frustrated and annoyed and with a vile colour pallete that was too bloody yellow; that ending though? WTF? shocking yes, but nothing more than a jump scare.

Predestination 7/10: A low key Science Fiction film that has an interesting conception and makes the most of it which the parameters of the genre, maybe just lacking some gravitas to make turn it from a very good film into a great one.

Force Majeure 6/10: A film that had my expectation levels set pretty high and given I expected something more grandiose in nature, there really just wasn't enough here to make an lasting impact, it all felt rather confused in its direction and nature.

Whiplash 9/10: A brutal and powerful film that hits all the right beats and in J.K. Simmons has surely one of the truly outstanding performances of the year and Miles Teller holds his own to give credit where its due. Not a fan of Jazz or Drumming per-se but couldn't help but grow to love the music and the passion on show here.

John Wick 7/10: Many had said this was a return to form for Keanu Reeves and while I'd say he's perfectly okay here, you can't help but feel he is mis-cast in this role. Wonderful action film with well crafted and editing action set pieces if not let-down by a repetitive score. And who doesn't enjoy a good revenge flick?

A Most Violent Year 6/10: A most enjoyable film, but apart from the brilliance of Oscar Isaac in the leading role, everything around him just feels like a collaborative near-miss; a film that should have been great is nothing more than a subdue dramatic affair that suffers from a rather bland ineffective script, enjoyable in the moment but not a film with legs to stand the test of time and repeat viewings.

Avengers: Age of Ultron 4/10: A sequel that should have aimed to surpass the original on all fronts, instead I was left waiting to be entertained; the action scenes were just a blur and characters like Thor were given next to nothing to do. Caught up in it's childish humour, Joss Whedon forgot to tell a story and forgot to entertain us in the process. Lacklustre. Oh and Hulk/Black Widow - utter bullshit.

Mad Max: Fury Road 8/10: For as much as I was blown away in the moment by all the batshit crazy action sequences in this film, I was equally just as disappointed. It's not a Mad Max film and it's non-stop action to the detriment to the overall experience - I didn't care for the story or the characters so the film carried no weight and outside of the trailer scenes the rest has become a blur. Yes there is such a thing as 'too much of a good thing'

Well that sums up my film experience of 2015 so far to date; now I really need to play catch up if I'm ever going to get close to last years total, let alone surpass it, but where there's a will, there is a way.


No comments:

Post a Comment