Tuesday 28 January 2014

2013 Top 10 Best & Worst Films: No. 6

No.6 Best - The Selfish Giant dir Clio Barnard



A rarity for me here, a British film actually making my top 10 favourite films of a year list and while there are still the elements of British Cinema that I’ve grown to hate present in The Selfish Giant, I couldn’t help but fall in love with this movie that tells the tale of the friendship between two young outcast teenagers. It is the strong bond between the pair that has been written so delicately and with such charm and affection by Clio Barnard that really sold the film for me; Each time Connor Chapman (Arbor) and Shaun Thomas (Swifty) share the same screen space you can’t help but smile due to the wonderful chemistry that the pair seem to have together. The film has a washed out look to it, which is probably there to magnify the feeling of bleakness and despair of the working-class and whilst the approach to portraying the so called ‘Working-Class’ in British Cinema still doesn’t sit right with myself, I never felt that this was overly emphasized within The Selfish Giant, for me the film feels very similar to the works of Ken Loach. Though the films villain ‘Kitten’ a dodgy scrapyard worker, feels a little two dimensional – he is still evil to the core and utterly disgusting which really helps to give the film an extra level to the challenge for which the two young boy’s friendship is tested upon as the story develops. The film does suffer from having multiple endings and whilst I’d have much preferred the film to end a good 10-15mins prior to the credits, you can certainly see what the writer/director’s thought process was for their choice in ending; overall though the film is laugh out loud funny, charming and at times harrowing and a shining light that British Cinema has been lacking for so many years.





No. 6 Worst - Blue Jasmine dir Woody Allen



Now I’ve seen that Blue Jasmine has featured on many critics lists as being one of the best films of 2013 and I wouldn’t be surprised to see this film do extremely well going into the Awards season, but I for one am calling ‘bullshit’ on this; since when did so many critics out there become blinkered ‘fanboys’ of any director’s work, willing to lay down lauds of praise onto a film that is just outright awful. I think it’s very telling that all the positive talk for Blue Jasmine begins with the performance of Cate Blanchett; give credit where credit is due, I’ll admit that she does perform wonders on screen within her role, but that doesn’t cover up the fact that the script/screenplay is one of the worst I’ve seen play out on the big screen in quite a few years. Blue Jasmine is chock full of underdeveloped caricatured working class characters for which I find Woody Allen’s lazy and neglectful incompetence research at how the ‘working class’ actually live and behave to really be rather offensive; the character of Jasmine is also one of the most hideous human beings in film for a number of years and while it’s not impossible to connect with negative/bad characters in film, it’s not possible in Blue Jasmine purely down to how badly this film is written, its totally unbelievable and laugh out loud preposterous in terms of the way characters act and talk,  and after only a short time the film left my head pounding with anger at how amateurish this film felt. The screenshot of Jasmine above really depicts quite well my state whilst enduring such a bloated and ill-advised film Woody Allen has directed this year. To say that I hated this film wouldn’t be an understatement at all, this is one of those films that I really regretted watching and certainly will not be viewing again any time soon, in fact ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment